Lafayette Farmers and Artisans Market at the Horse Farm opened up this summer back in June and has been growing bigger every Saturday since. It showcases many LOCAL farmers around the Acadiana Area as well as LOCAL Artists and some LOCAL Restaurants & Food Trucks. Open every Saturday from 8am till noon and every 3rd Saturday of the month is FOOD DAY and they have more LOCAL restaurants and food trucks and stay open till 2pm. I have been there since opening day and every Saturday after. I am always amazed with what I find. You will find handmade soaps, goat cheese & milk, Beautiful art pieces to decorate your home with, wonderful jewelry, fresh flowers, beef jerky, children’s clothes, fresh homemade pasta & sauces, fresh seafood, fresh beef, fresh pork, an abundance of fresh vegetables & fruits from many different farmers, fresh breads, cured meats, condiments, and the list goes on and on. The Horse Farm is currently working on a park behind the market for the community in Lafayette, La for all of us to enjoy. It’s a beautiful piece of land that has finally gotten open to the public (for now only during the market on Saturdays). The goal of this market is:
· Promoting the enjoyment of healthy locally grown farm products;
· Raising funds for the eventual development of the property as a public park;
· Providing an opportunity to view and enjoy the property;
· Supporting local artists and producers by providing a direct channel of distribution and marketing;
· Serving as a hub for cultural enrichment in celebration of the community;
· Encouraging the Park’s support by local business and community leaders;
· Promoting community-enriching programs, projects, and opportunities for the future of the Horse Farm Park.
I would like to personal thank Lafayette Farmers and Artisan Market at the Horse Farm Advisory Board: Stacy Lee, Shelia Durel, Miles Petersen Jan Wyatt, Leslie Barton, Maxie Crain, Mark Hernandez with City Parish President, Joey Durel for what they have brought to our wonderful city!